Title: A Brotherly Gift
The main characters, the context and the main plot belong to Professor Tolkien, whom I greatly admire. I’m only trying to fill in the gaps he so graciously left for us, fanfic writers, to have some fun. Andrahar, Mahiran and the blade Nightshade belong to Isabeau. Only Halabor and its inhabitants belong to me.Rating:
General – suitable for all.Genre:
None, but the story belongs to the “Sons of Gondor” story arc and takes place in my imaginary Gondorian town, Halabor.Summary:
Prince Imrahil makes his sworn brother, Andrahar, a very special anniversary gift.Author’s notes:
This is an anniversary fic, written for Isabeau, as an answer to the Edhellond Group’s Anniversary 2006 challenge.
My heartfelt thanks go to altariel1
for beta reading.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *PART ONE[The 23rd day of Urui(1) in the year 3006 of the Third Age]
The summer was unusually warm in Gondor in the 3006th year of the Third Age, tiring both men and beasts whenever Arien
(2) steered her golden ship high above upon the deep blue sky. Even Anduin, the Great River, seemed tardy, rolling the heavy mass of its waters slowly southwards. There was no wind, not even a light breeze that would catch the sails of the barges heading to the North, thus they had to be moved laboriously by the oars against the stream or hauled up by long ropes along the river bank.( Read more... )
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *End notes:
(1) Approximately our August. Unlike the Elves, the Dúnedain used the Sindarin names of the months, all of which were 30 days long.
(2) According to the “Book of Lost Tales”, the Maia who steered the Sun-ship.